[gpfsug-discuss] storage-scale-object - summary

Alexander Saupp Alexander.Saupp at de.ibm.com
Thu Feb 29 07:27:46 GMT 2024

Hi all,

there was a couple of very good concerns, questions and statements already. I’d like to summarize my very personal understanding – not necessarily officially speaking for my employer IBM.
Be invited to reach out to IBM Client Engineering (a presales invest by IBM) if you have a need to discuss, demo or evaluate in connection to an active Opportunity ( i know, but that’s the rules of engagement )

  *   Swift S3 is complex to maintain, as said by Christoph Martin. IBM supports multiple stacks for multiple products. That along with currency the main reason to move away

  *   For alternatives a focus on ‘unified access via file and s3’ was set, so the feature set required is something (for you as a customer) to evaluate.

  *   You can find references on our future architecture publicly available, its based on the same noobaa stack that is used in RedHat ODF MCG.
I would like to recommend the following blog of my IBM CE peer Nils Haustein:

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/storage/blogs/nils-haustein1/2024/02/21/s3-tiering-to-tape-with-noobaa-part-1-introduction

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/storage/blogs/nils-haustein1/2024/02/21/s3-tiering-to-tape-with-noobaa-part-2-deployment

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/storage/blogs/nils-haustein1/2024/02/26/s3-tiering-to-tape-with-noobaa-part-3-tiering

  *   Some might consider release timing, .. But here is the plan, thanks for already outlining, Renar!
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/storage-scale/5.1.9?topic=summary-changes

     *   IBM Storage Scale 5.1.8 is the last release that has CES Swift Object protocol.
     *   IBM Storage Scale 5.1.9 [EUS release] will tolerate the update of a CES node from IBM Storage Scale 5.1.8 - so if you have it, you can keep it
     *   I’m expecting TechPreview and GA within the next two releases – technical details as per above blog.

I hope this helps to clarify IBM’s plan of record. I’d like to reinvite you to reach out to IBM (via IBM Sales / directly) if you’d like to follow-up.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Alexander Saupp
Senior Technology Engineer | IBM Client Engineering EMEA | Software Defined Storage
+49 172 725 1072 Mobile
alexander.saupp at de.ibm.com<mailto:alexander.saupp at de.ibm.com>

IBM Data Privacy Statement<https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/>
IBM Deutschland GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Sebastian Krause
Geschäftsführung: Wolfgang Wendt (Vorsitzender), Dr. Andreas Buchelt, Dr. Frank Kohls, Christine Rupp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562