[gpfsug-discuss] sequential I/O write - performance

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Feb 12 14:54:21 GMT 2024

On 10/02/2024 19:39, dale mac wrote:

[SNIP]

> *What to do,*
>
> **
>
> *Try *
>

>  1. 8 individual gpfs FS with your FIO test like XFS test. Ie do like
>     for like. *8x XFS versus 8x GPFS*.  From an array perspective same
>     io pattern.
>  2. 1 gpfs FS and 1 Array and matching 1 FIO ( then x8 result)

Pull in the eight devices, using LVM create PV's on them, and then
combine the eight PV's into a single VG, make a single LV taking up all
the VG, and then create a single XFS file system on the LV.

You want to use "-i 8" when creating the LV and experiment with the -I
option to set the size of the stripe.

You now have an XFS file system that matches the GPFS file system. Rerun
your tests comparing apples to apples rather than oranges.