[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup feature request

Wahl, Edward ewahl at osc.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:14:53 BST 2023

  We have about 760-ish independent filesets.  As was mentioned before in a reply,  this allows for individual fileset snapshotting, and running on different TSM servers.  We maintain a puppet-managed list that we use to divide up the filesets, .   automation helps us round-robin new filesets across the 4 backup servers as they are added to attempt to balance things somewhat.   We maintain 7 days of snapshots on the filesystem we backup, and no snapshots or backups on our scratch space.

We hand out the mmbackups to 4 individual TSM backup clients which do both our daily mmbackup, and NetApp snappdiff backups for our user home directories as well.  Those feed to another 4 TSM servers doing the tape migrations.
We’re sitting on about ~20P of disk at this time and we’re (very) roughly 50% occupied.

One of our challenges recently was re-balancing all this for remote Disaster Recovery/Replication.  We ended up using colocation groups of the filesets in Spectrum Protect/TSM.  While scaling backup infrastructure can be hard, balancing hundreds of Wildly differing filesets can be just as challenging.

I’m happy to talk about these kinds of things here, or offline.  Drop me a line if you have additional questions.

Ed Wahl
Ohio Supercomputer Center