[gpfsug-discuss] Inode size, and system pool subblock

Wahl, Edward ewahl at osc.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:55:29 BST 2023

>>[2]  [...]  I believe I'm correct in saying that inodes are not the only things to live on the metadata pool, so I assume that some other metadata might benefit from the larger block/subblock size. But looking at the number of inodes, the inode size, and the space consumed in the system pool, it really looks like the majority of space consumed is by inodes.[...]

>you may need to consider snapshots and directories , which all contributes to MD space
>predicting the space requirements for MD for directories is always hard, because the size of a directory  is depending on the file's name length, the users will create...

Unless you enable encryption.  In which case NO metadata will be stored on MD disks/devices.

Ed Wahl
Ohio Supercomputer Center

Hallo Peter, [1] [. . . ] having a smaller inode size than the subblock size means there's a big wastage on disk usage, with no performance benefit to doing so[. . . ] in short - yes 😉 [2] [. . . ] I believe I'm correct in saying that inodes are not

Hallo Peter,

[1] [...] having a smaller inode size than the subblock size means there's a big wastage on disk usage, with no performance benefit to doing so[...]
in short - yes 😉

[2]  [...]  I believe I'm correct in saying that inodes are not the only things to live on the metadata pool, so I assume that some other metadata might benefit from the larger block/subblock size. But looking at the number of inodes, the inode size, and the space consumed in the system pool, it really looks like the majority of space consumed is by inodes.[...]
you may need to consider snapshots and directories , which all contributes to MD space

predicting the space requirements for MD for directories is always hard, because the size of a directory  is depending on the file's name length, the users will create...

further more,  using a less than 4k  inode size makes also not much sense, when taking into account, that NVMEs and other modern block storage devices comes with a hardware block size of 4k (even though GPFS still can deal with 512 Bytes per sector)

hope this helps ..