[gpfsug-discuss] DSS-G support period

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 5 12:03:05 BST 2020

On 05/08/2020 11:32, Simon Thompson wrote:
> 3.0 isn't supported on first gen DSS-G servers (x3650m5) so if you
> have those, you'd hope that it would continue to be supported.

Or it's now old hardware and out of support. Here I have some shinny new
storage to sell you :-)

> We're just looking to upgrade ours to 3.0 (and no, you don't need to
> upgrade xcat server to 8.0 for that).

That's what the upgrade documents I am reading say. I have open a PDF
named DSS-G-3.0b.Upgrade_Procedure.pdf downloaded from Lenovo.

If you navigate to section 2.4 on page 10 it says

     Since xCAT is required for DSS-G deployment, the xCAT server must be
     installed and the xCAT management software configured. For existing
     xCAT servers, it is recommended to update the OS and xCAT software
     to match the current LeSI levels; see section 2.3. The software
     components needed for DSS-G deployment must then be copied and
     unpacked onto the xCAT server.

So it says to update the xCAT server OS and the xCAT server. Right lets
see what section 2.3 on page nine says about versions. It talks about
RHEL 8.1 and a very specific version of xCAT to be downloaded from
Lenovo. No mention of RHEL7 whatsoever.

Consequently as I read it DSS-G 3.0 requires upgrading the xCAT server
OS to RHEL 8.1. Or at the very least is "recommended" which in my
experience translates to "argh sorry unsupported; click" should you need
to raise a support call. So not upgrading is in effect not optional.

I would note that all previous upgrade documentation in the 2.x series
that I have read has said that the xCAT server OS should be upgraded to
match that of the OS you are about to deploy the the DSS-G servers. So
matching the xCAT OS to the DSS-G OS is not something new.

Of course previously this was just a "yum update" so not really a big
deal. On the other hand switching to RHEL8 is a big deal :-(