[gpfsug-discuss] default owner and group for POSIX ACLs

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 16 22:32:50 BST 2019

On 15/10/2019 16:41, Simon Thompson wrote:
> I thought Spectrum Protect didn't actually backup again on a file
> owner change. Sure mmbackup considers it, but I think Protect just
> updates the metadata. There are also some other options for dsmc that
> can stop other similar issues if you change ctime maybe.
>
> (Other backup tools are available)

It certainly used too. I spent six months carefully chown'ing files one
user at a time so as not to overwhelm the backup, because the first
group I did meant no backup for about a week...

I have not kept a close eye on it and have just worked on the assumption
for the last decade of "don't do that". If it is no longer the case I
apologize for spreading incorrect information.