[gpfsug-discuss] question about why unix extensions = no is recommended when using samba + gpfs?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Mar 13 10:09:21 GMT 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 19:07 -0500, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I was wondering why here :
>

> https://www.mail-archive.com/gpfsug-discuss@gpfsug.org/msg00121.html
>

> ...and several other forums, wikis, etc it's recommended to use :
>

> unix extensions = no
>

> for samba setups with GPFS? This disables the ability for linux/unix
> samba clients to see the actual mode bits on files.

Because it messes horribly with NFSv4 ACL's, and MacOSX clients in
particular do "bad things" using Unix extensions that break group
shares. Therefore unless you absolutely need it which most people don't
then disabling it is a sensible choice to avoid wasting hours of your
time trying to work out why everything is broken.

Fife, United Kingdom.